Volunteer IN-Volvement Menu
BUILDING BRIDGES FOR STUDENTS: A resource help you make an informed decision in choosing how to maximize your community service hours.
One of the most important educational components necessary for your graduation from Palm Beach County Public Schools is your opportunity to perform community service. Building Bridges for Students helps you accomplish your goal.
Welcome to Building Bridges for Students. We will offer our assistance to you to help you make a great selection for volunteering! This opportunity is to build character and widen your worldview, while making a difference for those you will serve. “You build the Bridge – The Bridge builds you.”
There are hundreds of ways for you to serve. The Building Bridges for Students Menu below will provide you with a wide variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the County.
You are the master of your choice. We ask you to consider several things before you make your decision. There are activities that you can do from your home and some require being in the field. We stress that you consider safety when doing in person projects. It might be helpful to consult with your guidance counselor about this or other questions you might have.
Here’s the simple 3-Step process to help guide you to discover the best volunteer opportunity(s) for you:
- Select a category below that interests you and click that choice.
- From there, select the organization(s) that best suit you.
- Phone or e-mail the contact person to discuss their needs OR first click the direct link to their website where you will learn more about them before reaching out to the contact person. In either case you’ll be in direct contact with your chosen group.
MENU OF VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- FLASH EVENTS: Do you stand ready to volunteer for whatever is needed? You’ll want to check this section often. We will list a menu of pop-up events that are sponsored by our Building Bridges for Students Partners throughout the County.
- COMMUNITY BEAUTIFICATION: There are so many ways to volunteer to help bring pride and hope to a disadvantaged community. Clean ups, flower boxes, planting trees and growing vegetable gardens beautify while helping the environment and food supply at the same time. Fixing and painting eyesore structures ignite community improvement. If you can’t help on site you can help to motivate others to donate supplies.
- FOOD & NUTRITION: The numbers of our Palm Beach County hungry neighbors, especially children, the elderly and the homeless is staggering. You can put your community service hours into a food program near you. You can also help find donate-able food, volunteer for or even organize a food drive.
- EDUCATION: Students who have educational skills will find the personal gratification of helping a fellow student overcome their scholastic challenges in order to graduate. Participating will positively change your life as well as theirs. There are also a myriad of other ways to volunteer in your school, or a nearby school.
- HEALTH & MEDICINE: Students interested in pharmacy, medical or dental health can help and learn to deliver needed services to those who are unable to afford even basic healthcare.
- EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW: The law enforcement community includes police, judges, state attorneys, the prison system, lawyers and others. There are opportunities in this category including community/police relations, helping returning citizens reintegrate into society and more.
- THE ARTS: The arts are a binding force to bring people together. Whether you’re on the stage or in the audience, you can help bring people from different backgrounds and cultures to work and play together in an atmosphere of acceptance and understanding.
- ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY: Many of our partners provide services that range from instruction on how to manage family finances, to getting better jobs. Some encourage entrepreneurship. Successful ventures can bring a family from poverty into the middle class and better.
- EMOTIONAL SUPPORT: There are countless ways to help raise someone’s spirit, self image, or abilities to another level by Mentoring, consoling, restoring, bringing hope, being a friend. At the same time you can build meaningful friendships by being there for someone who needs a caring ear.
- ENVIRONMENT: Florida has many specific environmental problems that demand attention. Some local issues that you can help with are plastics and waste disposal, the Aquifer, burning sugar cane which destroys the health and lives of residents of the Glades and reforestation to mention a few.
- SHELTER: With the rising costs of rentals and home purchases homelessness rises. You can volunteer with agencies and organizations fighting to keep a roof over the heads of all of our neighbors.
- WORSHIP: Faith-based organizations like the Clergy Association of Palm Beach County provide advocacy through education, justice, equality, peace, social, economic, and spiritual well-being within our communities. Many houses of worship near you have social action programs for you to join.
- GENERAL SUPPORT: Do you have a particular skill, talent, or experience that you would like to offer to an organization which can use it? Please contact us and we will attempt to match you with an organization that can use your volunteer skill.
⚡️ FLASH EVENTS ⚡️
STAY TUNED FOR THESE MENU ITEMS!
- SPORTS: Coach, referee, cheer, or help acquire equipment. If sports is your thing you can find a way to use your knowledge and passion to give others who share your interest a way to make their athleticism a path to enrich their lives. Please contact us and we will attempt to match you with an organization that can use your volunteer skill.
BUILDING BRIDGES FOR STUDENTS: IN-CROWD University (ICU)
THE IN-CROWD University (ICU) is a group of qualified volunteer educators and mentors who are committed to make a difference in the lives of underserved people. Qualified students who need remedial help in particular areas of their studies will partner with a knowledgable and caring teacher / mentor. We’re looking for qualified volunteers in all subjects that will help the students to acquire knowledge and develop skills that will help them in their schoolwork, jobs, or in any way that will enhance their lives.
BUILDING BRIDGES FOR STUDENTS: An Idea Whose Time Has Come
When an idea’s time has come and people act on it, transformation occurs. Now is the time for community transformation! We’ve made hard fought gains in equal opportunity and justice for all over the last 70 years. We became somewhat complacent.
Today, overt prejudice and gained rights are being torn away. We are waking up to the fact that if we don’t act now we’ll lose the chance to act later. Now, many Palm Bach County Florida leaders and residents are banding together to reverse the current downward flow. Palm Beach residents from every background and circumstance are uniting. They are donating their time, talent, ideas and resources to reverse the trend and build trusting relationships with our neighbors. One example of this effort begins with the Office of Community Revitalization.
Each of us pulling together toward the same goals are a powerful force for good.
If you have further questions, or would like to volunteer or partner with THE IN-CROWD please contact us today!