Volunteer IN-Volvement Menu
PROJECTS OF PURPOSE – A resource for you to GET IN-VOLVED.
Welcome to Building Bridges. Congratulations for taking the initiative to engage in volunteer service. As you do this work, you will find unparalleled satisfaction partnering with your neighbors. “You build the Bridge – The Bridge builds you.”
Consider the following before making your choice: There are hundreds of ways for you to serve. The Building Bridges Menu will provide you with a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. Choose those that agree with your own interests, experience, and passion. Also consider the amount of time to you can devote, whether you will be doing your project from home or in the field and your geographical considerations.
Our easy 3-Step process helps guide you to the best volunteer opportunity for you:
- Select a category below that interests you.
- From there, select the organization(s) that best suit you.
- Phone or e-mail the contact person to discuss their needs. You may first click the direct link to their web site where you will learn more about them before reaching out to the contact person. In either case you’ll be in direct contact with your chosen group.
MENU OF VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- FLASH EVENTS: Do you stand ready to volunteer for whatever is needed? You’ll want to check this section often. We will list a menu of pop-up events that are sponsored by our partners throughout the County.
- COMMUNITY BEAUTIFICATION: There are so many ways to volunteer to help bring pride and hope to a disadvantaged community. Clean ups, flower boxes, planting trees and growing vegetable gardens beautify while helping the environment and food supply at the same time. Fix up and paint eyesore structures ignite communal improvement. If you can’t help on site you can help to get supplies donated.
- FOOD & NUTRITION: The numbers of our Palm Beach County hungry neighbors, especially children, the elderly and the homeless is staggering. You can donate hours at a food program near you, help find donate-able food, volunteer at or even organize a food drive. You can also help a family in need with groceries.
- EDUCATION: Retired teachers and others who have skills will find the personal gratification of helping a student with their studies and see them overcome their challenges in order to graduate. It will change your life and theirs. For everyone else there are a myriad of helpful volunteer opportunities in a nearby school.
- HEALTH & MEDICINE: Pharmacists, medical professionals, dental workers, and others can help deliver needed service to those who are unable to afford even basic healthcare.
- EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW: The law enforcement community includes police, judges, state attorneys, the prison system, lawyers and others. There are many opportunities in this category including community/police relations, reducing crime, helping returning citizens reintegrate into society and more.
- THE ARTS: The arts are a binding force to bring people together. Whether you’re on the stage or in the audience, you can help bring people from different backgrounds and cultures to work and play together in an atmosphere of acceptance and understanding.
- ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY: Many of our partners provide services that range from instruction on how to manage family finances, to getting better jobs. Some encourage entrepreneurship. Successful ventures can bring a family from poverty into the middle class and better.
- EMOTIONAL SUPPORT: There are countless ways to help raise someones spirit, self image, or abilities to another level. Mentoring, consoling, restoring, bringing hope, being a friend. At the same time you can build meaningful friendships by being there for someone who needs a caring ear.
- ENVIRONMENT: Florida has many specific environmental problems that demand your attention. Some local issues that you can help with are plastics and waste disposal, the Aquifer, burning sugar cane which destroys the health and lives of residents of the Glades and reforestation to mention a few.
- SHELTER: With the rising costs of rentals and home purchases homelessness rises. You can volunteer with agencies and organizations fighting to keep a roof over the heads of all of our neighbors.
- WORSHIP: Faith-based organizations like the Clergy Association of Palm Beach County provide advocacy through education, justice, equality, peace, social, economic and spiritual well-being within our communities. Many houses of worship near you have social action programs that you can join.
- GENERAL SUPPORT: Do you have a particular skill, talent, or experience that you would like to offer to an organization which can use it? Computer skills, social media knowledge, creative writing, etc. are needed. Please contact us and we will attempt to match you up with an organization that can use your volunteer skill.
STAY TUNED FOR MORE BUILDING BRIDGES MENU ITEMS!
- SPORTS: Coach, referee, cheer, or help acquire equipment. If sports is your thing you can find a way to use your knowledge and passion to give youngsters who share your interest a way to make their athleticism as path to enrich their lives. Please contact us and we will attempt to match you up with an organization that can use your volunteer skill.
BUILDING BRIDGES: IN-CROWD University (ICU)
The IN-CROWD University (ICU) is a group of qualified volunteer educators and mentors who are committed to make a difference in the lives of underserved people. Qualified students who need remedial help in particular areas of their studies will partner with a knowledgable and caring teacher / mentor. We’re looking for qualified volunteers in all subjects that will help the students to acquire knowledge and develop skills that will help them in their schoolwork, jobs, or in any way that will enhance their lives.
BUILDING BRIDGES: An Idea Whose Time Has Come
When an idea’s time has come and people act on it, transformation occurs. Now is the time for community transformation and Building Bridges! We’ve made hard fought gains in equal opportunity and justice for all over the last 70 years. We became somewhat complacent.
Today, overt prejudice and gained rights are being torn away. We are waking up to the fact that if we don’t act now we’ll lose the chance to act later. Now, many Palm Bach County Florida leaders and residents are banding together to reverse the current downward flow. Palm Beach residents from every background and circumstance are uniting. They are donating their time, talent, ideas and resources to reverse the trend and build trusting relationships with our neighbors. One example of this effort begins with the Office of Community Revitalization.
Each of us pulling together toward the same goals are a powerful force for good.